Information Technology (IT) Manager
Who We Are
The Social Research and Demonstration Corporation (SRDC) is a mission-driven, non-profit research and evaluation organization. Since 1991, SRDC has been building a substantial base of knowledge, evidence, and experience about what works in a wide range of policy and program areas. We are passionate about innovation and rigorously testing real-world solutions to some of Canada’s most pressing challenges. SRDC has conducted nearly 400 research and evaluation projects across diverse policy areas including employment and workforce development, education, income security, health and well-being, economic integration of immigrants, youth development, and programs supporting the social and economic inclusion of marginalized and underrepresented groups.
SRDC is recognized across Canada, and internationally, as an innovative leader in the design, implementation, and evaluation of large-scale demonstration projects. In addition to impact studies using experimental designs, SRDC offers a full range of research and program evaluation services for a diverse number of clients, partners, and community stakeholders, including governments and non-governmental organizations. SRDC’s mission is to help decision-makers implement the most effective policies and programs that improve the lives and well-being of all those in Canada – especially those who face disadvantage – and to raise the standards of evidence used in assessing and designing those policies and programs.
It's an exciting time to join SRDC as we are continuing to grow, diversify our work, and expand our impact. The successful candidate will join a passionate and highly-qualified team of over
60 professionals from a diverse range of policy and research backgrounds, including economics, psychology, sociology, and health policy. We offer rewarding work assignments in a dynamic work environment, with regular opportunities for professional development to promote continuous learning and growth of our employees. We also offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. Our reputation for professionalism, methodological rigor, integrity and ethics, and exceeding clients’ expectations is based in no small part on our high-calibre staff – and we value and recognize our team as our greatest resource.
We are seeking to fill an immediate need for a full-time Information Technology (IT) Manager for our Ottawa office. The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with our third-party IT service provider, overseeing all aspects of their service commitments, to ensure the effective operation and security of SRDC’s corporate IT network environment. This includes network administration, security and compliance, and maintaining quality standards related to end user support and help desk response. The IT Manager will liaise with staff to provide both real-time incremental end-user support, over and above the third-party managed services, as needed, and to help identify future IT needs. Reporting to the Director of HR and Corporate Services, the IT Manager will provide advice to management on short and medium-term needs and will contribute to the preparation of annual budgets and the monitoring of ongoing IT expenditures.
The IT Manager will support staff working in SRDC’s main Ottawa and Vancouver offices, in our satellite offices (in Calgary and Montreal), and in remote work environments across Canada. All SRDC staff are currently working from home until further notice due to Covid-19 related health precautions.
- Managing all aspects of our third-party IT service provider including monitoring service commitments and quality standards related to network administration, helpdesk requests, user support, as well as security infrastructure and compliance with security protocols
- Oversee all helpdesk requests in coordination with our IT service provider, and provide incremental end user support to all staff as needed
- Contribute to the preparation of an annual IT budget and monitor expenditures including IT provider invoices and purchase requests for hardware and software
- Maintain inventories of all hardware assets, including all peripherals and accessories, and make recommendations for upgrades and new purchases as needed
- Maintain inventories of all software used by staff, manage licensing including updates and new features, and prepare recommendations for upgrades and new purchase as needed
- Liaise with research staff to provide both real-time end-user support and identify future IT needs
- Assist communications staff with web management, email, and social media accounts as part of communications and knowledge mobilization campaigns
- Liaise with Human Resources and Corporate Services staff including the Chief Privacy and Security Officers to provide technical support and advice with user access and security and compliance issues
- Liaise with management to provide advice on IT resources to support optimal business processes, and identify potential risks including security risks involving data and privacy breaches
- A degree or diploma program in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Relevant certifications in network administration, information systems, security or Microsoft 365 would be an asset
- At least three years of experience as an IT Manager, Information Systems Coordinator, or equivalent
- Experience with network administration, including cloud-based networks
- Sound knowledge of security infrastructure and compliance issues
- Experience coordinating a helpdesk and providing support to end users
- Experience with web management and social media platforms would be an asset
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed manner, assessing and maintaining IT priorities
- Problem-solving skills and ability to exercise good judgment within established procedures and practices
- Strong documentation skills and excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical issues in a straightforward manner that is relevant to network users
- Capacity to work in both official languages would be an asset
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter providing a short description of their interests, skills, and experience, and clearly illustrating how these relate to the required responsibilities and qualifications.
SRDC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We embrace and support diversity in a representative workforce that benefits from different experiences and perspectives. We provide our staff with an inclusive and transparent work environment, free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We especially welcome applications from qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences. This may include but not be limited to Indigenous Peoples, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and members of visible minority groups. We will accommodate the needs of candidates with disabilities in all aspects of our hiring process; applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known.
Please submit applications by October 5, 2020 through our online system below (preferred method) or to:
Elizabeth Rodgers, Director, Human Resources and Corporate Services
Social Research and Demonstration Corporation (SRDC)
55 Murray Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, ON K1N 5M3
Posted: September 3, 2020