Experienced Bilingual Researcher
Who We Are
The Social Research and Demonstration Corporation (SRDC) is a mission-driven, non-profit research and evaluation organization. Since 1991, SRDC has been building a substantial base of knowledge, evidence, and experience about what works in a wide range of policy and program areas. We are passionate about innovation and rigorously testing real-world solutions to some of Canada’s most pressing challenges. SRDC has conducted nearly 400 research and evaluation projects across diverse policy areas including employment and workforce development, education, income security, health and well-being, economic integration of immigrants, youth development, and programs supporting the social and economic inclusion of marginalized and underrepresented groups.
SRDC is recognized across Canada, and internationally, as an innovative leader in the design, implementation, and evaluation of large-scale demonstration projects. In addition to impact studies using experimental designs, SRDC offers a full range of research and program evaluation services for a diverse number of clients, partners, and community stakeholders, including governments and non-governmental organizations. SRDC’s mission is to help decision-makers implement the most effective policies and programs that improve the lives and well-being of all those in Canada – especially those who face disadvantage – and to raise the standards of evidence used in assessing and designing those policies and programs.
It's an exciting time to join SRDC as we are continuing to grow, diversify our work, and expand our impact. The successful candidate will join a passionate and highly-qualified team of over
60 professionals from a diverse range of policy and research backgrounds, including economics, psychology, sociology, and health policy. We offer rewarding work assignments in a dynamic work environment, with regular opportunities for professional development to promote continuous learning and growth of our employees. We also offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. Our reputation for professionalism, methodological rigor, integrity and ethics, and exceeding clients’ expectations is based in no small part on our high-calibre staff – and we value and recognize our team as our greatest resource.
We are seeking to fill an immediate need for a full-time researcher to support field research activities and work with team members on the development, implementation, and evaluation of small and large research projects using mixed methods. The successful candidate will contribute to a range of studies and innovative policy research initiatives in areas such as: employment and workforce development, access to post-secondary education, youth inclusion and development, and supports for persons with disabilities.
The ideal candidate will be available to work in SRDC’s Ottawa office; however, flexibility for work locations elsewhere in Canada may be provided, on an initial or long-term basis. All SRDC staff are currently working from home until further notice (due to Covid-19 related health precautions).
- Participating in the development of evaluation strategies and designs
- Designing logic models, evaluation frameworks, and data collection tools
- Supporting partnerships with funders, service agencies, employers, and other research organizations
- Liaison, coordination, and collaboration with project partners (including service providers, advocacy organizations, public service agencies)
- Participating in the development of work plans and research instruments and protocols
- Field visits to support implementation of new programs, as well as their monitoring and evaluation
- Implementing the project evaluation plan, which may include undertaking literature reviews and environmental scans
- Collecting and analyzing both quantitative and qualitative data via key informant interviews, focus groups, and surveys
- Developing evaluation and research proposals in response to specific client needs
- Contributing to and writing research reports and (co-)presenting research findings
- A graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in social sciences, public policy, or a related field
- At least five years of experience in research and program evaluation, including mixed methods designs
- Experience with qualitative field research, such as depth interviews, focus groups, and virtual facilitation
- Experience developing logic models and evaluation frameworks
- Experience with coding and analysis of qualitative data
- Excellent writing skills, ability to present research results clearly and concisely
- Capable of working in a self-directed manner and collaborating in a team environment
- Problem-solving skills and ability to exercise good judgment within established procedures and practices
- Strong interpersonal, relationship-building, facilitation, and communication skills
- Capacity to work in English and French, with strong oral and written communications in both official languages
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating location preference and providing a short description of their research interests and skills, explaining how they relate to the required expertise, proposed responsibilities, and SRDC’s mission. Applicants may be asked to demonstrate their qualifications through a research assignment as part of the selection process.
SRDC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We embrace and support diversity in a representative workforce that benefits from different experiences and perspectives. We provide our staff with an inclusive and transparent work environment, free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We especially welcome applications from qualified candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences. This may include but not be limited to Indigenous Peoples, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and members of visible minority groups. We will accommodate the needs of candidates with disabilities in all aspects of our hiring process; applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known.
Please submit applications by September 28, 2020 through our online system below (preferred method) or to:
Elizabeth Rodgers, Director, Human Resources and Corporate Services
Social Research and Demonstration Corporation (SRDC)
55 Murray Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, ON K1N 5M3
Posted: September 3, 2020