1. User Agreement
By using this Web site, you signify your consent to and agreement to be bound by these terms, practices, and policy.
This policy applies to the www.srdc.org Web site only.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the privacy practice on this Web site please address them in writing to the attention of the Chief Privacy Officer by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to SRDC, 55 Murray Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, ON K1N 5M3.
The Social Research and Demonstration Corporation (SRDC) collects personal information from users only if that user voluntarily provides us with such information by subscribing to our E-announcements service, registering for events, ordering a publication, or by submitting a question or comment to SRDC. Users are under no obligation to provide us with this information and may access our Web site without providing any personal information. By volunteering this information, users agree to its collection for the purposes stated below.
SRDC uses the personal information collected for the following purposes:
- To provide users with E-announcements of new publications and activities of SRDC.
- To keep aggregate information on Web site use.
- To obtain user feedback on the Web site.
6. Collection of Information
- When a user subscribes to receive E-announcements from SRDC we may collect some (or all) of the following personal information:
- E-mail address
- When a user orders a copy of an SRDC publication, some (or all) of the following personal information is collected:
- Telephone number
- Postal Code
- E-mail address
- When submitting a comment by e-mail to SRDC'S general mailbox email@example.com, some (or all) of the following personal information is collected:
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- SRDC also collects certain non-personally identifiable information that becomes available as a result of a user's visit to SRDC's Web site through the use of “cookies.” Cookies are small computer files that are saved on the user's computer hard drive. The information collected is used to provide SRDC with information such as the number of visitors to its Web site and is not personally identifiable. Information collection of this sort is a standard practice on most Web sites. The information collected includes the following:
- The user's IP address (A number automatically assigned to a user’s computer when the user visits the Web site. Our server logs the user's IP address.)
- The user's Web browser
- The date of the visit
7. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
An individual's personal information is only used in connection with the purposes identified in paragraph 4 of this policy. Individual information collected by SRDC will not be sold or made available to third parties. The retention periods for personal information collected by SRDC are as follows:
- Information collected for the purpose of providing E-announcements updates is retained until the user requests to be removed from our subscription list.
- Information collected for the purpose of ordering publications or submitting a comment will be retained only as long as is necessary for the authorized purposes.
8. Ensuring Accuracy
Users can subscribe to receive E-announcements from SRDC. To unsubscribe, users simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be removed from SRDC'S E-announcements list. Also, to change or modify information previously provided to SRDC, simply send an e-mail with the required changes to email@example.com.
To ensure the protection of personal information collected by us, SRDC employs the following physical, organizational, and technological security safeguards:
- Access is restricted to SRDC offices to employees and authorized individuals of SRDC only.
- Access to the SRDC server containing personal information is limited to designated employees of SRDC, our Web site development company, and ISP and is accessed by use of a password.
- The SRDC server contains firewall protection. Further, all SRDC employees are made aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of our users' personal information.
SRDC is committed to making readily available to individuals information on our policies and practices.
11. Individual Access
To review your personal information collected by SRDC, please direct your request in writing to the attention of the Chief Privacy Officer by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to SRDC, 55 Murray Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, ON K1N 5M3.
12. Challenging SRDC'S Compliance
If you wish to challenge SRDC'S compliance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act please address your concerns in writing to the attention of the Chief Privacy Officer by e-mail at email@example.com or by mail to SRDC, 55 Murray Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, ON K1N 5M3. If you are not satisfied with our response to your challenge, you may submit a complaint to the Federal Privacy Commissioner within six months. Appeals from decisions of the Federal Privacy Commissioner may be made to the Federal Court of Canada within 45 days after the Commissioner's report is sent.